SANTA CRUZ, CA -- The UC Santa Cruz Banana Slug Women's Basketball team set a number of records this season. The highlights included:
- Winning 18 games breaking the season record for the 3rd year in a row
- First ever wins in program history at Cal Lutheran, Occidental, and Menlo
- Playing at Kaiser Permanente Arena where the Slugs went 8-0 winning by an average of 16 points per game.
- Winning 10 consecutive games the longest winning streak in program history
- A close 4 point loss to eventual #1 Whitman College.
Several Slugs also received individual honors. The All-Independent Women's Basketball teams were selected by the women's basketball coaches from AD3I member schools. Included on the list were
Coach Todd Kent was named the All-Independent Coach of the year.
There is also little sadness to this season. The Slugs say goodbye to graduating seniors Melody Baroni, Ryane Ortiz and Taylor Willis who played a big part in turning the program around. The senior class will certainly be missed but the future looks bright.
The Slugs return 13 players including a senior class that has won 44 games over there first three seasons. Sara Crane, Sarah Fitzgerald, Geena Giovannetti, Erin Joo, Sarah Mackey and Leah Parrish will lead the way for the Slugs in 2014. The season will also depend on the development of the seven underclassmen The Slugs will need key contributions from Lashay Alexander, Jasmine Dimson, Ashley Holmes, Trina Torres, Tyler Stewart, and the return of Jean Dulay and Amanda Spence from injury. Coach Kent has three spots to fill and Slugs fans find out on March 15th about the recruiting class.
We thank you ladies for a fun and entertaining season. We look forward to an exciting 2014-2015 season.