Women's Golf Makes Nationals
Women's Golf Makes Nationals
INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA Division III Women's Golf Committee announced 20 teams and 11 individuals that will participate in the 2007 NCAA Division III Women's Golf Championships.
Eleven conferences have been granted automatic qualification and the remaining nine teams were selected on an at-large basis from conferences and the remaining independent institutions. Eleven individuals, not from selected teams, also were selected for the championships.
The championships will consist of both team and individual competition conducted concurrently. The tournament consists of 72 holes of play over four days of competition. In the team competition, the low four scores from each team for each day will count in the team's total score.
The championships will be conducted May 8-11 at the Mission Inn Golf and Tennis Resort in Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida. Oglethorpe University and the Central Florida Sports Commission will serve as hosts. The selected teams and individuals are listed below:
1. Methodist College
2. Gustavus Adolphus College
3. University of St. Thomas (Minnesota)
4. Middlebury College
5. DePauw University
6. Williams College
7. University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire
8. Illinois Wesleyan University
9. Southwestern University (Texas)
10. Simpson College
11. Olivet College
12. Allegheny College
13. Amherst College
14. Illinois College
15. University of Puget Sound
16. Vassar College
17. University of California, Santa Cruz
18. Manchester College
19. Texas Lutheran University
20. Ohio Northern University
1. Katie Tewell, Franklin College
2. Jennifer Young, University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh
3. Karla Leon, Macalester College
4. Kristi Martin, Hardin-Simmons University
5. Julia Gates, Oglethorpe University
6. Andrea Schiltz, Wartburg College
7. Jennifer Stork, Buena Vista University
8. Jessica Urban, University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point
9. Susie Lewis, University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point
10. Kassie Wells, Carleton College
11. Leslie Wheeler, Linfield College
In 2006, Methodist College of Fayetteville, North Carolina, won its ninth consecutive NCAA Division III Women's Golf Championships with a combined score of 1,240 at the Mission Inn Golf and Tennis Resort in Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida. Gustavus Adolphus College (1,316) narrowly earned runner-up honors over third-place finisher DePauw University (1,317). Charlotte Williams of Methodist won the individual title with consistent play of 77, 76, 76 and 79 for a total of 308. With the title, she repeated as national champion.
For more information about the 2007 NCAA Division III Women's Golf Championships, log on to www.ncaasports.com. Highlights of the NCAA Division III Women's Golf Championships will be shown on CBS at 1:30 p.m. Eastern time, Sunday, July 1. The CBS seasonal show will feature highlights of 17 different NCAA championships held during the spring.